(under reptilian serveilance since 2008)

You are not logged in.

painter

More photos of old Royton

Rebel

01.Jul.09 20:17:01 | Post #301 |

I am proud to say i was on rememberance day parade a couple of times when we had to go up to the monument  we played the last post  and revellie ?    and sang abide with me  it was hard not to laugh when you heard Wilf Deacan start off the hymn  we wernt disrespectful  just schoolboys  neutral  then in the evening if memory serves we went to st pauls for an evening service and played last post and revellie  again it sounded superb in the church we played it from behind the alter out of sight  for the congragation it must have been awesome  .what you have to remember the war had only been over 25 years or so and a lot of relatives of those Roytoners who died in the war were there  .  Nostalgic memories of 1855 squadron .

the angels sword was stolen first i believe  of the angel herself i cant remember if all that got stolen or it was stolen in parts  , what kind of scoundrel would desicrate and destroy such a thing the mind boggles      rebel

Rocking Horse needs new stable .

Rebel

01.Jul.09 20:17:04 | Post #302 |

I am proud to say i was on rememberance day parade a couple of times when we had to go up to the monument  we played the last post  and revellie ?    and sang abide with me  it was hard not to laugh when you heard Wilf Deacan start off the hymn  we wernt disrespectful  just schoolboys  neutral  then in the evening if memory serves we went to st pauls for an evening service and played last post and revellie  again it sounded superb in the church we played it from behind the alter out of sight  for the congragation it must have been awesome  .what you have to remember the war had only been over 25 years or so and a lot of relatives of those Roytoners who died in the war were there  .  Nostalgic memories of 1855 squadron .

the angels sword was stolen first i believe  of the angel herself i cant remember if all that got stolen or it was stolen in parts  , what kind of scoundrel would desicrate and destroy such a thing the mind boggles      rebel

ridge walker

01.Jul.09 22:04:17 | Post #303 |

I remember the theft at the time, the plaques were found in a hedgerow near the Tandle Hill Tavern having been carried down the hill, it looked like the theives were on the way to Kirkolt, the estate across the M62 but it was only fields then, must have been too heavy to carry any further.

Looking at Frances book "Royton" theres a good photo of the scouts jamborette taken in 1958, they are shown gathered round the flag during the 3 day event on 14th June.  This raising of the flag by scouts who regularly met in the park using a brick building as a base once used by the gamekeeper, this was on the top walk and now planted with beech trees on the site, the flag pole became known by me as flagstaff hill, i requested a bench be placed here  also the topograph at the monument when the rangers first took over as they are favourate view points of mine and once had the Chadderton power station cooling towers as the main feature to be seen,  no scouts have visited since the building was demolished.

The war memorial had a pure white marble surround with ornate cast iron pillers supporting a chain, not the fence you see today, every year poppy wreaths are left on the site and i know that people remember the sacrifice and this is the place they choose to lay them.  I repect that.

Rebel

01.Jul.09 22:11:07 | Post #304 |

My uncle was on one of those tablets  he was killed in italy  there are a few good stories about him that my mam and dad told us kids  if there ever is a topic about such things maybe they will interest someone  , he is buried in italy . i have a photo that he had on him when he was injured  he carried it around with him  must have been returned to my grandmother .

TimH

01.Jul.09 23:56:06 | Post #305 |

Here are the photos requested by Ridge.

scan0001-3.jpg

Tandle Hills taken in 1910 long before it became an official country park

scan0002-2.jpg

An invite for the mayor of Oldham to the opening in 1919.

scan0003-1.jpg

The stone down near where the old main entrance used to be on Oozewood Road. Note that the date for the Great War goes up to 1919 because it includes those British soldiers fighting alongside the White Russians against the Bolsheviks which was still going on at the time the stone was laid.

DSCF0324.jpg

A more recent photo.

TimH

02.Jul.09 00:13:41 | Post #306 |

roytonrebel wrote:

My uncle was on one of those tablets  he was killed in italy  there are a few good stories about him that my mam and dad told us kids  if there ever is a topic about such things maybe they will interest someone  , he is buried in italy . i have a photo that he had on him when he was injured  he carried it around with him  must have been returned to my grandmother .

I'd be very interested to read about him Rebel. A few years ago I visited old soldiers who served in the Durham Light Infantry and wrote down their experiences for the DLI museum and it was quite harrowing at times what they went through at places like Dunkirk and Crete as well as the victories that came later. If anybody has living relatives who fought in the war why not ask them about their experiences and write it down for posterity. You could keep it to pass down within the family or hand it in at the local history library so it can be kept as a record. It is a sad fact that as the years pass by it all becomes sanitised and we end up with the Hollywood version and it all gets forgotten that almost every family in Britain was affected in some way.

EJay

02.Jul.09 04:39:01 | Post #307 |

Your writing on these topics is never-ending interesting
Tim  smile  Sterling effort and much appreciated

The 1910 photo is a bit erie tho  roll

ridge walker

02.Jul.09 18:09:58 | Post #308 |

The little hill where the stone is located now has trees planted upon it, a strip was left open from the Oozewood gate to the stone and now forms a footpath that continues past and through the grass meadow where the scouts camped and also where the caravan club once stayed, this land was farmed for vegitables during the war and cleared from the moorland grasses.

On the opening day a stand was built like a boxing ring with bunting, where the ceremony and speeches were made, this was lower down the hill where the new dipping pond is situated and the lawn type grass area in front was filled with poeple, just to one side were toilet blocks and further up the valley lay the paddling pool, between the two a footpath ran directly up to flagstaff hill and this is now part of Oldham Way, a branch path down to the right is where the 1910 picture was taken,at that time the estate was private.

This path lead to the roofed shelter that had two sides and seating in 1970 and the mainroute through the woods, as it rose up towards the memorial it branched into two and a second group of toilets where the Rhoddydendrons are now planted, as you turn right at the top the track was surfaced the edges were curbed and the surface cobbled, you can see the remains under the leaf litter as you reach the elbow at the Thornham gate then the lovel curving route to the summit mount.

clutter

03.Jul.09 23:10:49 | Post #309 |

TimH wrote:

Ridge when you see Frances Stott as her if she has any original photos that may be copied. I got most of these photos from my cousin on a disc and a few are postcards that have been passed down through the family and those are the ones I have been able to make bigger by scanning at a high resolution. I've also bought a few copies over time from John & Kate's but they are expensive and very poor quality. Any original photos would be great though so that they could be scanned and put on here at a larger size and also get some printed for Bernard for the lounge area in the new flats.

I got quite a bit of information from her books in the local studies library as well as A History of Royton Pubs, The Gazeteer of Oldham Mills and A History of Oldham by Hartley Bateson which is the best book on local history that I have read.

Tim I thought Frances got the photos for the book from the Local Studies Library?

Rebel

04.Jul.09 09:08:57 | Post #310 |

The paddling pool was fed by the stream  and in summer the hill where all the conifers are was were you could sit and have your sauce butties and water cool

Hattie

05.Jul.09 19:46:10 | Post #311 |

I remember the paddling pool. It was lovely on a hot day, before turning around and slogging back home. We didn't have the butties, but on a good day we would have 'Spanish Spo'. Did anyone else ever dissolve hard spanish from the chemist into a bottle of water? I don't think you can still get the proper stuff, can you? Has anyone seen any? smile

Why fit in when you can be outstanding?

TimH

05.Jul.09 22:56:40 | Post #312 |

clutter wrote:

Tim I thought Frances got the photos for the book from the Local Studies Library?

She did Clutter and there are a lot of photos up there too but they will only allow copying for publications.

ridge walker

06.Jul.09 12:04:16 | Post #313 |

Tim, not forgotten, will see Francis tonight  she knows of our interest as i have mentioned it to her before i recognised the content, spent a hour going through library books last week on display near the door, many are for sale at a few pounds each.

TimH

07.Jul.09 22:10:26 | Post #314 |

ridge walker wrote:

Tim, not forgotten, will see Francis tonight  she knows of our interest as i have mentioned it to her before i recognised the content, spent a hour going through library books last week on display near the door, many are for sale at a few pounds each.

Thanks Ridge

TimH

07.Jul.09 23:04:05 | Post #315 |

DrKershaws1930.jpg

Dr Kershaw's Cottage Hospital which opened on 28th February 1931. It was provided and endowed by Dr John Kershaw who died in 1909 and it was he who also paid for the clock tower on the Town Hall. It was transferred to the Oldham & District Hospital Management Committee following the introduction of the National Health Act in 1948 but remained a cottage hospital. In the late 1970's it became famous because of the work Robert Edwards and Patrick Steptoe carried out there with the conception of Louise Brown, the world's first first test tube baby. In 1988 Dr Kershaw's was designated a hospice.

RoytonHarriers1920.jpg

Oh dear its another one of those annual eRoyton competitions and oh, hold on a minute, I've only just noticed that my grandfather and great uncle are in this photo. I will have to get hold of the original of this photo. My uncle in Australia told me a while back that he had some trophies of his dad's for cross country running that he will pass on to me and I'm right chuffed at this (one photo just e mailed to Adelaide).

Anyway going back to the competition it is the annual knobbly knees contest of course and there are a few candidates here from among our number. The clear favourite in my view is Lucky Jim who is sat to the left of the proud looking chap in his Sunday best and a bushy moustache. Very knobbly knees i think you'll agree and a bit craggy in the legs too I might add. If his face looks a bit grubby in the face it is because he has just wiped off a load of dirt thrown by a just out of picture (and very indignant) EJay for criticising her garden photos.

This is actually Royton Harriers taken in 1920. The Harriers were formed in 1898 by a group of men who got together to enter cross country events being held. In 1920 they won the South East Lancs cross country league championship and and again in 1926. They used a small hut on Shaw Road as their meeting place up until 1954 when they made their headquarters in Hillside Avenue. They used the Westwood track for training and when this track closed to make way for B&Q the club moved to Radclyffe School.

Stpauls1754.jpg

Not a great picture I'll grant you but a good excuse to give you a bit more history and how the church looked in its original form before extentions and towers were added. So anyway, Royton church was formerly a chapel of ease for the mother church at Prestwich. The site of the chapel and graveyard, Downey Field and Acre Field were sold by Thomas Percival of Royton Hall for the grand sum of 1 shilling on 9th August 1753. St Paul's was dedicated on 10th August 1754 and consecrated on 1st July 1757. The church was an oblong grey slated structure, built of brick and ornamented with stone cornices and quoins at the angles. In 1828 the chapel was enlarged with the addition of a square tower outside the original building at the west end with a weather vane added on the top.

I've a few more photos now which I will add tomorrow.

ridge walker

08.Jul.09 15:40:03 | Post #316 |

TimH, Francis will review the posts on ERoyton and see if she can help further, had a chat about it as she has not used the site before, she may contact you through the administrator of the forum so no details need posting.

While in the library last week i picked up a little book about Ferranti, it was written by himself about the family bussiness and why his father chose Hollinwood for his factory, the auther was born in Wilmslow and each of his brothers took on the roll of MD of expanding factories, each had his own way, one was an engineer, another had personel skills and got things done by charm and was well liked. The workers contribute to the story written as a factual account.  It was on display just to the left of the entrance doors with the books on local history, i flipped through it as i had only 1/2 hr to kill but it was all there with photographs, one set included a big staff members do at the Midland Hotel in M/ch at xmas, all the men in bow ties and ladies in gowns about 50 years ago.

EJay

08.Jul.09 15:43:17 | Post #317 |

ridge walker wrote:

Francis will review the posts on ERoyton

Wonders if Francis will recognise Clutter
from her style and content of writing  smile

TimH

08.Jul.09 23:55:41 | Post #318 |

AdvertforStotts.jpg

Maxster's first job after leaving school people and did it not suit him down to the ground and he certainly suited the hat.

It is an advert for Stott's of Oldham in the 1970's and their catering equipment made at the Vernon Works in Royton. The founder of the company was James Stott who was a dental surgeon, and developed a gas governor and manufactured it in a lean to workshop. By 1890 it had gained over 60 awards and in the end almost 1 million various sized governors were sold.

The first item of catering equipment was the gas kettle, produced in 1906 and closely followed by dinner warming ovens. Stott's moved to the former Fir Mill in 1962. In the 1960's the company was producing cafeteria counters, boiling pans, frying ranges (the ones for chippies), roasting ovens, cooking ranges and boilers. In 1979, and now part of Thorn Industries, the company merged with Benham & Sons Ltd to become Stott Benham. This company was then taken over by Electrolux in 1987 and the company closed in the 1990's.

LionBeeMills1910.jpg

The Lion & Bee Mills from the early 1900's.

Bee Mill
Shaw Road, Royton. Architect: Wild, Collins & Wild. Spindleage:
(1915) 102,216, Platts. Engine: George Saxon, 1,500 hp.
Built by the Bee Spinning Co. Ltd. in 1901, card shed extended in 1904. Ceased production 1964 and occupied for a number of years by Harrison and Jones, making foam blocks. Purchased by the Local Authority in April 1985 and gutted with the top two.storeys being removed. This now modernised structure is occupied by Slumberland Ltd. for the manufacture of plastics, laminates, fibres and fillings.

My dad's last job was working for Harrison & Jones at the Bee Mill when he had his first major stroke at 44 and never worked again.

Lion Mill
Fitton Street, Royton.
Architect: Wild, Collins & Wild. Spindleage: (1915) 109,680, Platts. Engine: Pollit &Wigzell, 2,000 hp.
Built in 1890, the ‘sister' mill to King and Bee, all owned by the same group. Card shed extension made in 1891 and new warehouse added the following year. The mill engine was completely re-built in 1900, the work being completed in 14 days! Ceased production December, 1967, and left vacant for a number of years whilst stripping out was in progress. Re-occupied 1969 by the Wellcome Foundation Ltd, manufacturing surgical wool and other similar products, and also acting as a retail distribution centre for the North West.

StMarksHeyside1907.jpg

St Mark's church at Heyside taken early 1900's and before the vicarage was built in 1909. The foundation stone was laid on 30th March 1877 and consecrated on 15th May 1878. There was also a mission room of course like the other churches in Royton and this was named St Chad's and erected at Higginshaw in 1894.

TimH

08.Jul.09 23:58:42 | Post #319 |

ridge walker wrote:

While in the library last week i picked up a little book about Ferranti, it was written by himself about the family bussiness and why his father chose Hollinwood for his factory, the auther was born in Wilmslow and each of his brothers took on the roll of MD of expanding factories, each had his own way, one was an engineer, another had personel skills and got things done by charm and was well liked. The workers contribute to the story written as a factual account.  It was on display just to the left of the entrance doors with the books on local history, i flipped through it as i had only 1/2 hr to kill but it was all there with photographs, one set included a big staff members do at the Midland Hotel in M/ch at xmas, all the men in bow ties and ladies in gowns about 50 years ago.

My great uncle Billy, having been wounded in WWI, operated one of the big guns on Ferranti's roof during WWII.

EJay

09.Jul.09 06:15:59 | Post #320 |

TimH wrote:

The first item of catering equipment was the gas kettle, produced in 1906 and closely followed by dinner warming ovens. Stott's moved to the former Fir Mill in 1962. In the 1960's the company was producing cafeteria counters, boiling pans, frying ranges (the ones for chippies), roasting ovens, cooking ranges and boilers.

M m m m m !   

I wasn't feeling hungry until I read that  big_smile

Looks like an early brekkie for me then
wink

Tinkerbell

09.Jul.09 08:52:12 | Post #321 |

We had a fish and chip shop years ago and I am almost certain that it had a Stott's frying range.  Hated the chippy the smell never left your hair no matter how many times I washed it  and my fish and  chips were never consistent ... somtimes really good and sometimes awful.  It was a lock up which was one blessing ... we didn't have to suffer the smell in our living room lol

Cllr Bernard Judge

09.Jul.09 20:42:13 | Post #322 |

TimH wrote:
Cllr Bernard Judge wrote:

Just found time to have a look Tim H.

Fantastic stuff. I would like to get some copied and framed for Tandle View Court. There are some decent photos in there but some of old Royton would be well received.
Give me a shout if you can help?

Bernard

I just might be able to help here Bernard. I'll be in touch when I've sorted it out.

Tim,
I have been in to askif they would like half a dozen piccies for the Hobbies Room. They would be welcome. How  we get six large ones framed so we can have them out in?

We can use some of our councillors budget to pay for them to be enlarged and framed.

Bernard

Got to be a Man of Value

TimH

09.Jul.09 22:40:41 | Post #323 |

Tim,
I have been in to askif they would like half a dozen piccies for the Hobbies Room. They would be welcome. How  we get six large ones framed so we can have them out in?

We can use some of our councillors budget to pay for them to be enlarged and framed.

Bernard

Bernard I'm going up to the local studies library in the morning again so I'll ask to borrow some photos to copy and tell them what it is for and they should let me without too many problems. I'll scan them at a good resolution then and print them A4 size and can I leave you then to sort out the frames for them?

Cllr Bernard Judge

10.Jul.09 07:48:50 | Post #324 |

Nice one Tim.
Get a receipt if you pay anything out, then we can get a payment for it.

I was looking at six including Market Street, Broadway Cross, Belgian Mill workers, Railway Station, Library & Rochdale Road view, and maybe a Pub shot? So if can include those then we can give the people a choice. Gets debate going and memories come flooding out.

I saw some slides thatFrances showed at Royton History Soc.  It took ages because everyone was talking about their memories of each Piccie.  Brilliant!

Got to be a Man of Value

EJay

10.Jul.09 16:29:46 | Post #325 |

TimH wrote:

I'll scan them at a good resolution then and print them A4 size

If they are taken to a printers they could be blown
up to A5  and that would look really impressive! smile

harrystottle

10.Jul.09 18:48:42 | Post #326 |

What about  blowing them up to 50 feet square and covering the frontage with them?

More handsome than he looks

Cllr Bernard Judge

10.Jul.09 19:20:55 | Post #327 |

EJay wrote:
TimH wrote:

I'll scan them at a good resolution then and print them A4 size

If they are taken to a printers they could be blown

It's the other way round Ejay. Paper sizes start at A1, then split in two down to A2, then split again to A3, A4, A5, A6

In the old days it was terms such as Elephant, Double Elephant, Crown, Royal, Double Royal, Foolscap and others

Got to be a Man of Value

Spice Girls #1 Fan

16.Jul.09 20:48:36 | Post #328 |

Tim .... i was out with our friend Ged tonight ... we was out back of the Duke having a smoke and talking about how royton has changed .. we was trying to remember what the street was once called that runs up the side of the assembly hall now ... up to behind the bookies ... the one with the taxi rank on was called spring garden street .. are we right about this ... and we couldnt remember the one on the other side ... i told Ged id ask you

mick

Rebel

16.Jul.09 21:11:38 | Post #329 |

Mick my auntie lived on that street after Orchard street was demolished  she lived a few doors down from the albion club [old one] it went right across just like spring garden street . i will leave it to Tim to tell you the name and i am sure  Hattie knows because she lived just around the corner  .by the way on the corner where the car park is  was whitworths ironmongers .

Spice Girls #1 Fan

16.Jul.09 21:16:20 | Post #330 |

cheers RR .. i do remember Whitworths being there ... i used to buy cane from there as a kid to make french arrows ... no-one makes them anymore do they ... i might make one tomorrow ... just for nostalgias sake 

mick

Rebel

16.Jul.09 21:26:14 | Post #331 |

Hey Mick obv i am a good few years older then you but our paths must have crossed when you were playing out around that area maybe the age differance  because doing some rough guess work on the age thing  i reckon i would have been going in pubs and doing all that stuff when you were still a young un . would that have been Ged Flynn you were with outside the Duke? hes a sound guy . anyway this is intruding on Tims thread   regards rebel

Cllr Bernard Judge

16.Jul.09 22:30:24 | Post #332 |

Mick wrote:

Tim .... i was out with our friend Ged tonight ... we was out back of the Duke having a smoke and talking about how royton has changed .. we was trying to remember what the street was once called that runs up the side of the assembly hall now ... up to behind the bookies ... the one with the taxi rank on was called spring garden street .. are we right about this ... and we couldnt remember the one on the other side ... i told Ged id ask you

mick

I reckon it was King Street?

Got to be a Man of Value

TimH

16.Jul.09 23:59:01 | Post #333 |

Spot on Bernard it was King Street and Rebel is right about Whitworths too. That was a hardware shop I'm sure but Rebel will know this one, did they sell boxes of hard peas there or have I got my shops mixed up? I'm sure I can recall going in there for these peas so my dad could make soups. Also Rebel our families must have run across each other over the years because my dad grew up on Orchard Street and his mother lived there up until passing away in 1964.

Mick I saw Ged a few months ago and it was years since we had seen each other and we were talking for so long we had frosty eyebrows. Our time was a really good time to grow up because no matter how long it is in between meeting up we just carry on from where we left off. I've spoken to Bri Howles on the phone recently and I'm in touch by e mail with Carl Andrews recently so its been great catching up with everyone.

And rebel you are certainly not intruding or if you feel you are then intrude as much as you want because it is always good stuff you come up with about Royton and the more that join in like this the better it is.

ridge walker

17.Jul.09 06:15:27 | Post #334 |

Whitworths were the first tennents of the corner unit now used by William Hills Bookmakers, this shop had two gentlemen and a wife running it, the shop was in two parts one dealing in tools the other houshold goods, it was very well kept and fitted out.

Opposit was The Corn Poppy that did health foods, this now is the home bargain shop, the shop was always busy and very nice with good staff, they moved to Rochdale road but closed not long afterwards.

Both of these businesses and the vegitable shop that now is Sadlers bar with it adjoining butchers were the best years of the precincts life and started the decline when they closed, the TSB bank repaired its canopy over the door or rather filled the hole up a week ago, its patch and mend now er... nothing over the top!

EJay

17.Jul.09 07:34:49 | Post #335 |

EJay wrote:

. . . they could be blown

It's the other way round Ejay.

lol
    A3 it is  big_smile  I get most things ****-about-face these days
wink

exile

17.Jul.09 09:46:10 | Post #336 |

I don't remember Tinny Whits selling dried peas but could be mistaken, they sold everything hardware and household, the shop was a right old tip but the man behind the counter knew what they had and could put his hand on any of it. no self service in those days of course. And the smell of the place. B&Q will never match that.
Me and Hattie lived on Spring Garden Street and the next one was King St with the Duke at the top and the Albion Club almost at the top on the other side.

Life is too short to argue

Rebel

17.Jul.09 09:51:14 | Post #337 |

I have a feeling Tim could be thinking of Cockers  on the corner of Market st 
time mixes things up    also the old coop on Radcliffe st  park st sold all kinds of hardwear stuff  but did it sell dried peas .  cockers did  pea shooter ammo.

Rebel

17.Jul.09 09:53:58 | Post #338 |

Wilmar Ireland i think was the owner and he had a lad with glasses who worked there  , but i didnt think the lad with glasses went on the precinct    maybe i am wrong   wink

exile

17.Jul.09 09:55:10 | Post #339 |

Alfonso Cocker's was a food shop in the same vein as Tinny Whits, they had allsorts, and probably thats where the dried peas came from. and again the smell of the place, a real smell not some aerosol like they do at Tesco.

Hattie

18.Jul.09 15:45:47 | Post #340 |

See, you turn your back for a few days and miss all kinds of good stuff. Talk of cockers , the Albion Club and Tinny Whits has had me thinking of what other shops there were on Market Street.
Starting at Cockers, and staying on that side of the road, I remember a knitting shop, (wool, needles,embroidery thread etc.) Dunkerly's bakery, (hot pie and a lump of mash with butter on top. Yummy.) It was known by some as the well-done-bread shop as they burned the tops of some loaves on purpose to please all tastes. My Saturday job was to go there and get 2 Large loaves, (unsliced, naturally) 12 Teacakes and half a pound of Black and Greens tea. It cost 1/11p as I remember. Further up was the Wesleyan church. The other side of Spring Garden St. was a sweet shop, and further along towards Rochdale Rd was the Chippy. Crossing Market St.,we had the corner of the Police Station and a shop that sold little children's clothes. I remember seeing the Ladybird label and thinking that it must be for posh kids. I certainly never had anything from there. Coming back across Spring Garden St., There was a tobacconist  on the corner, then photographers, Taylor's, I think it was, then in probably the wrong order, King St., The Duke of Edinburgh, a butcher, a sweet shop, and was there a shop that sold paper stuff, writing pads and what have you? That's the best I can remember, maybe exile can help to fill in the blanks, I know I'm a long way from having them all.

Rebel

18.Jul.09 16:54:58 | Post #341 |

Royton Liberal Club on the corner of King st opposite where the duke is [ ladies only Tuesdays ]  there was a paper shop inbetween  duke and high st that sold giant balloons [for playing football back of settee] .Market st chippy was my favourite  chips with soup on in a basin tongue   , Hattie maybe the ballon shop was the shop that sold writing pads etc , tummenupp

Hattie

19.Jul.09 10:48:33 | Post #342 |

I think you're right rebel. I do remember getting balloons from there. I remembered that there was a butchers shop on the stretch between the Duke and the High St. as well. The butcher there taught me that writing something on the back of your hand with a finger from the other hand would help you to remember things. Pity I never wrote down his name. smile

The Maxster

19.Jul.09 14:02:24 | Post #343 |

ridge walker wrote:

Opposit was The Corn Poppy that did health foods, this now is the home bargain shop, the shop was always busy and very nice with good staff, they moved to Rochdale road but closed not long afterwards.

Cornpoppy was originally the Pioneers Co-op TV rental and Electrical shop,I worked there 77-78 when a mate of mine Dave Hellon worked in the Furniture store where Pinchotos,Card shop and Hairdressers is now.
Sean O,neill ran the Grocers where Sadlers is,Butterworths butchers was next door and his wife and two daughters took over the TV shop to make it Cornpoppy,which was more of a butty shop until Mawsons took it over several years after.

Tonight, The Streets are ours!

Hattie

19.Jul.09 14:14:43 | Post #344 |

We have a clash of time lines here, Maxter. The Market St. I'm describing was during the early 50's-60's. You know: Just after the dinosaurs went away. big_smile

The Maxster

19.Jul.09 14:48:22 | Post #345 |

I was referring to Post 334,Ridge Walkers refernce to the current Precincts Golden era

Tonight, The Streets are ours!

Rebel

19.Jul.09 17:13:10 | Post #346 |

Sean O,neill started work for Bob Alty when it was the best shop of its kind in Royton he is in Ireland now, proper Roytoner from good irish stock his elder brother got tragicly ?  killed when he was waiting at the top of the road to go to the barbers with several other people when a car crashed into the lampost just a young lad at the time,  maybe someone will have more info on this   sad

Spice Girls #1 Fan

19.Jul.09 19:05:43 | Post #347 |

Both of nancy O Neils shops are now wine bars

mick

exile

20.Jul.09 18:13:27 | Post #348 |

roytonrebel wrote:

Sean O,neill started work for Bob Alty when it was the best shop of its kind in Royton he is in Ireland now, proper Roytoner from good irish stock his elder brother got tragicly ?  killed when he was waiting at the top of the road to go to the barbers with several other people when a car crashed into the lampost just a young lad at the time,  maybe someone will have more info on this   sad

I think I remember that accident, outside Newtons Chemist, the lad lived on oozewood though didn't he ? Royton hadn't had too many of that bad an accident and a large crowd gathered, I was stood with my dad when they lifted him into the ambulance, he was covered and I remember the hush as they all realised that he must have died. Terrible. sad

Rebel

28.Mar.10 17:32:12 | Post #349 |

TimH wrote:

RiverIrkThroughRoyleyClough1910.jpg

There is more news of that there Mr Morrison the Yorkie scoundrel. He hasn't made it past the stoic fighters of the Luzley Brook militia. The word is that he has headed back through Royton and is trying to get out another way. He won't do it through Royley Clough though because our very own Coxxy is guarding the bridge on the River Irk and whistling Colonel Bogey. He has been fortified by some home made soup given to him by LittleRach made from you know what wink but it has left Coxxy feeling a little windy shall we say. Fear not though for our Coxxy is resourceful and says to himself that if he catches the thieving conning Yorkie he'll trump own his earhole.

It is actually Royley Clough with the River Irk looking a bit parched I might add. Just through the trees is Millfield Cottage home of the owner of The Royton Mill Co at the time.

UnicornCharitiesDay1910.jpg

Oh dear there is confusion and not a little embarrassment just around the corner dear reader. Our Hattie thinks the place is empty and that everyone has gone home for the day but eRoytoners are forming up outside ready to burst in and surprise her. Poor Hattie doesn't realise this and is about to strimp off and dance on the tables. Oh Lordy no!!! Here on the right we see EJay telling Tinks "I really should have entered Miss Uk with my tanned legs you know". LittleRach is on the far left telling Ju, Kelly and Dawn "I was really done over those tomatoes but I'll have him and no mistake". Further up on the left is Mick with a new bike he has just built and as well as pedals it has even got a brake and a bell. More impressive though is his big flat cap and he is about to entertain the waiting partygoers with his rendition of Black Pudding Bertha.

It is in fact the Unicorn Inn on High Street once again in festive mood in 1910 advocating support for Royton carities. So successful was this day that the pub was closed a year or so later and became a doss house.

Windmill1920s.jpg

This is the Windmill taken in 1900. Broadway wasn't there in those days and there was just a dirt track down to it from Edge Lane Hollow and known as Windmill Lane unsurprisingly. I've given the history of it in an earlier posting.

HigherHouse1910.jpg

Here is a photo of Higher House from the front in all its pomp when it was a private house in the early 1900's. It was built in the 1850's by John Francis Mellor JP and was the home of Robert Mellor who owned Highfield Mill. It later became a nursery for the local mills in the 1930's and this was how I first remember it in the 1960's with all those mini coaches looking like over sized ambulances. In the 1970's it was converted in to the Strathmore restaurant and then Tipplers & Tramtracks night club. Finally it changed name to Jo-Jo's. I still find it hard to believe that this building was allowed to be demolished and replaced by that ridiculous new housing estate where there is no room to swing one of Tinks' kittens. If ever there was a building to be converted in to swish apartments with a nice view down the valley at the back it was this house and yet the planners allowed it to be bulldozed and replaced by an eyesore.

Whit53.jpg

Here we have a photo from 1953 taken on Church Street and in the centre of the photo is our very own Exile. This is the daily procession that accompanied the delivering of Exile's dear sister Hattie's lunch to her place of work. It is sincerely hoped too that Hattie didn't feel she was alone and decided to dance on the tables. Anyway I digress and here we see Exile bearing the lunches upon a cushion of silk no less and as they pass St Paul's the Vicar comes down the steps of the church and blesses the food and then pinches one of the said items. What the food is I cannot say other than it is covered in pastry and when the particular animal was alive it oinked. Stood in the house doorway is Mr and Mrs Lucky Jim who are not pleased for there is foul play around the church with lights being smashed and poor jim has been standing there this past five years waiting for the council to come and fix them and has had to watch the "procession of the pies" go by every day. Behind Exile we see EJay who as the "pie queen" has the solemn duty of giving the Vicar a whack with the flowers for pinching a pie. Here she is seen whispering to Exile "just you wait till I'm older and Miss UK and my tanned legs will blind you"

This is actually a Whit Sunday walk in 1953 and it is the Rose Queen belonging to the Village Sunday School down on Chapel Street. The page boy though is indeed our Exile and going on 7 years old at the time and he sent me this photo. In his words "the Coronation turned into a right old fiasco because the page boy (me) wouldn't/couldn't walk slow and the poor girl wanted to relish the moment (of course she did) and here was I on a 100 yard sprint to the stage." Also in the photo walking on the far side of the road is Mrs Moores who was known behind her back as Sergeant Major Moores and we've all probably come across her type.

I have to admit here too that at St Aidans we used to have the May Queen and in the late 1960's I was picked to be one of the page boys too and I absolutely hated it. It was excrutiating walking around Royton on Whit Sunday dressed in shiny blue pants, a frilly shirt with a shiny bow tie and a big shiny buckle on my shoes especially with all the other lads in our class following the whole way laughing at us. There will be no photo of that one because I think I have managed to destroy all the evidence over the years.

More tomorrow.

Funny thing about this photo ,,, That is a rose Queen retinue ,,,and the little boy in the photo is the rose queen cushion bearer .  And they still have the same  thing  today ,, So some traditions  stay the same  .   Another point for  new members  is if you look through this thread you will notice  that most of the photos are deleted   this is because of a silly old dragon who thinks she is the only  person who has the right to  dispense Roytons  history .

Last edited by Rebel (28.Mar.10 17:32:58)

Maximus

28.Mar.10 19:47:26 | Post #350 |

Rebel wrote:

you will notice  that most of the photos are deleted   this is because of a silly old dragon who thinks she is the only  person who has the right to  dispense Roytons  history .

Who is she ?

Board footer

24hr