eRoyton.co.uk

Latest drivel

(under reptilian serveilance since 2008)

You are not logged in.

chatterbox

CH103

28.Jan.13 09:59:33 | Post #1 |

If you live in a council house and get housing benefit should you lose some of that cash if you have a spare room going begging?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … ancer.html

In this case it's surely worth paying the £56 a month???

My mum is one of council tennants who will have to down size. She lives in the house that I used to live in with her. It's a two bedroom so would do for a small family. The only problem is that she's a carer for my housebound nan who lives 3 doors up from her which was good for my nan!

What do you lot think?

Happy Easter!

exile

28.Jan.13 10:04:19 | Post #2 |

Where one person is living in a four bedroom family house there must be some support for this, but in your Mums case with just one spare room this is just bullying.
Argue the case and speak to your local councillor and MP.  Does he still do surgeries in the Town Hall ?

Life is too short to argue

CH103

28.Jan.13 10:10:46 | Post #3 |

The house in question is in Bury but i'm sure there will someone she can talk to.

It annoys me that the government insist that my nan is cared for in the community to save money yet charge my mum for the convenience of doing it within walking distance of her own home!

Happy Easter!

exile

28.Jan.13 10:15:00 | Post #4 |

When we had my ancient relative living here we got involved with social services, I only wanted to know what aids were available to hep us look after her.
They showed no interest in her state of health and launched immediately into what their. Services cost. I just said thanks I will find what I need on the Internet. And we did.

Life is too short to argue

CH103

28.Jan.13 10:27:06 | Post #5 |

Good on you exile, That's what you're best off doing if you can. Sad times.

Happy Easter!

Clutter

28.Jan.13 10:27:52 | Post #6 |

There are 2, 2 bedroom council houses left on one street that I know of. In one a lady lived on her own after her husband died. She asked to be downsized to a single story because she was also having difficulty with the stairs. I believe she waited 3 years (maybe more)???? Then she died neutral

Next door there are 6 people in exactly the same size, 2 bedroom house. Go figure.

CH103

28.Jan.13 10:29:46 | Post #7 |

It's all backwards Clutter!

Happy Easter!

wizzenedone

28.Jan.13 11:53:29 | Post #8 |

Maggie changed council housing, granting tenants the right to purchase.
Before that it was a lifestyle choice, buy or rent. Council housing freed tenants from the clutches of Rachman and similar landlords just as the co-op freed shoppers from the vagaries of private shopkeepers with thumbs on scales, stale bread and stones in the potatoes.
Maggie turned Council housing into "Affordable Housing", by reducing the available stock and putting a brake on replacement construction.
We've had a Labour government since Maggie and through a period of affluence to, they don't seem to have done a great deal to prevent the inevitable?

Reformed motorist. Still struggling to kick the habit.

Mags

28.Jan.13 19:37:24 | Post #9 |

I feel sorry for those who have to move when children fly the nest. It is their home not just bricks and mortar.

Age is just a number.

wizzenedone

28.Jan.13 21:18:27 | Post #10 |

Mags wrote:

I feel sorry for those who have to move when children fly the nest. It is their home not just bricks and mortar.

I share your sympathy.
There is the right to buy!
An ex-policeman I know bought his fathers house for him, the ex-policeman was his fathers sole heir. It was admittedly at the height of the Blair housing boom.
I'm not sure how it would affect housing benefit, It could be arranged as a repayable loan.

Reformed motorist. Still struggling to kick the habit.

katboo

28.Jan.13 21:33:55 | Post #11 |

i think this is a shameful policy  yikes 
not everyone can afford to buy
the poor being punished AGAIN
a house is not just a house it is a home ,within a community , not sure how this fits with people feeling part of a community   yikes
this will affect people who are working but on a low income not just those unemployed or sick

Those who brought in this policy have many spare rooms in their houses but that s ok because they are rich   yikes

makes me both sad and angry Get this tory lot out  sad

be yourself..everyone else is taken  !!!

Lucky Jim

28.Jan.13 21:43:38 | Post #12 |

The queen will also have plenty of spare rooms as well as the rest of the company of well offs. It would be outrageous to charge those for spare rooms of course.

katboo

28.Jan.13 21:45:46 | Post #13 |

Lucky Jim wrote:

The queen will also have plenty of spare rooms as well as the rest of the company of well offs. It would be outrageous to charge those for spare rooms of course.

Of course , we seem happy enough to fund that    sad

be yourself..everyone else is taken  !!!

Woody

28.Jan.13 21:47:54 | Post #14 |

If you get this lot out katboo you will get the other tosspots back all this taxation is only trying to get us out of the mess the last lot got us in sat with the front door open for thirteen years. Taking jobs of our own.
And while i dont agree with it we can give the EU close on £40 million a day a fund overseas aid approaching £12 billion a year while persecuting our own no one will change it at least UKIP will get us out of the EU that has to be a move in the right direction to take our country back and be in charge of our own destiny rather than have it dictated by Brussels

soupdragon

28.Jan.13 22:02:53 | Post #15 |

Lucky Jim wrote:

We have 2 spare rooms .. and pay for it in terms of council tax

 baaaaa

Lucky Jim

29.Jan.13 07:14:17 | Post #16 |

Mags wrote:

Exactly mags these people on benefits have done nothing ileagle so why punish them.some of them might have paid for their council houses many times over in rent before going on benefits. sad

JimW1

29.Jan.13 08:22:54 | Post #17 |

katboo wrote:
Lucky Jim wrote:

Of course , we seem happy enough to fund that    sad

Im Not.......... mad

And balanced on the biggest wave.........You race towards an early grave.

JimW1

29.Jan.13 08:24:35 | Post #18 |

Its Quite Simple' its yet another attack on the poor by this Millionaire Cabinet

And balanced on the biggest wave.........You race towards an early grave.

Rebel

29.Jan.13 09:48:39 | Post #19 |

Mags wrote:

I agree with that sentiment  wholeheartly .

I was in the house when the house burned down.

SuperG

29.Jan.13 10:15:18 | Post #20 |

The logic behind it seems good in that it will result in less empty bedrooms. But like Katboo says if it weakens communities then that's no good at all

Good Grief!

Board footer